Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Birthday Ham

We tend to eat very little meat. I had a few vegan months, but mostly it's vegetarian. That doesn't mean we don't still very much enjoy the taste of meat. On occasion, to appease the meat gods because I know my husband misses it, we also incorporate a little local meat and fish.

Well, for my birthday this year, my dad sent me a ham! My brothers, also born in the same month, also each received a ham.


But now the question is, what do to with all the ham?

Well, the first day, of course, I made a crock pot full of hambone and bean soup (with carrots, celery and garlic). It was delicious, so we made a second. We're full-up on our ham and beans quota, so needed something new.

This weekend we made pancakes with pan-fried ham on the side.

Tonight I made butternut squash soup (simply boiled and pureed butternut squash with a little vegetable broth... it is delicious on its own), with diced, browned bits of ham. Super-easy, quick and delicious!


The Little Bear enjoyed the ham and beans, as well as pancakes and ham, but wasn't a fan of the butternut squash soup. To each their own. We still have a lot of ham left, so any suggestions are welcome!

No comments: