Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I love Science

In case you're not on Facebook, I'll start out by telling you that there is a page called, "I Fucking Love Science" that posts many popular science posts. Many of these are mildly inaccurate, or not really even Science, but they're about liking Science.

A person named Maddox has had enough, posting this: http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=youre_not_a_nerd

I understand this person's frustration, especially with the bad science that is being propagated, but, I still think that getting people to like science, even superficially, is a step in the right direction.

However, the association of sexy super-models with being nerdy is something I can agree is ridiculous. I'm all about nerds being sexy, but because they're smart. Smart should be sexy. It is sexy. But nerds are  generally awkward, and too busy staying up late reading manuscripts, debugging code, running experiments, and figuring out how things work to spend time waxing, pruning, preening, and counting calories. Sure, most of us aren't completely oblivious, and we want to be healthy, and we want to look good. But I think a sign of a true nerd is that when it comes down to a choice between science or image, science wins.

And that's sexy.

No comments: