Thursday, November 4, 2010

Speaking of Halloween...

I had to share this post from a woman I've never met. She's a mom of a little boy who chose to dress up as Daphne from Scooby Doo. My niece dressed up as the Grinch last year, and everyone thought it was cute. This little boy dresses up as Daphne (a dang good Daphne, I might add) and all hell breaks loose.

She says it so well, so please go read it, but just to highlight a few parts:
"If you think that me allowing my son to be a female character for Halloween is somehow going to ‘make’ him gay then you are an idiot. Firstly, what a ridiculous concept. Secondly, if my son is gay, OK. I will love him no less. Thirdly, I am not worried that your son will grow up to be an actual ninja so back off."
But, what it really comes down to is bullying, and how early that is ingrained in us. As a soon-to-be parent, I hope I can learn from this example. Kids learn that it is okay to bully from their parents as easily as they learn that it is NOT okay to bully from their parents.
Just as it was heartbreaking to those parents that have lost their children recently due to bullying. IT IS NOT OK TO BULLY. Even if you wrap it up in a bow and call it ‘concern.’  Those women were trying to bully me. And my son. MY son.
Rock on Nerdy Apple Bottom mom. Rock on.

------------------
Thanks George Takei for this message:


------------------

No comments: